Baby Ticker

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Thursday, January 11, 2007

what is this white stuff??

Tuesday night at about 10pm, snow started falling and it didn't stop until last night around 7pm. I awoke at 6am yesterday and went out, shoveled the walkway, driveway and all around my car (which is parked on the road) and then cleared off my car. I then came back inside, showered and went back to lie down for an hour!

The view out my living room window at 6am Wednesday morning (that is my little car hidden behind the big white bush)

I then got up and drove to work (stopping along the way at Walmart & Superstore to do shopping for work), I got to work safely at 10:30am Wednesday morning and drove out of the parking lot today at 3pm!! We were not able to transport kids to school yesterday or today because of the road conditions and also staff numbers - today we had like 5 staff not in because of the snow!

Around 4pm, with the snow still falling, I started getting concerned about driving home and having to be back at work at 7:30 the next morning. I mentioned this to Terri, our director and she said that her and Eli -her husband were planning on staying at the church(daycare) cause they would need to be here at 7am in case other staff didn't arrive. So, we decided to spend the night together at the church - we walked( or tromped as my friend Renee called it) up to Safeway to buy some food for dinner and then lunch today, got a movie for the kids and some warm beverages from Starbucks for the way home and then we tromped back to the church - much harder on the way back! By the time we got back, we were tired so we made dinner (Theresa nachos which Terri says are the best!) and then we watched some episodes of Murder She Wrote on DVD (on the nice big screen we have at the church--- projector and screen) and then set up our "sleeping areas" Because we have group care which is under 5 year olds, we have sleep mats so Eli got out those and set them up and then pushed over the nice couch from the church lobby and so Terri and Eli took the sleep mats and gave me the couch - for which I am very thankful! Around midnight we (Terri & I) went to sleep while Eli went back down to watch a movie! (just a bit crazy!) I woke up a couple times in the night but slept quite nice and was warm, which was nice - I thought I was going to be cold.


Eli & Terri all bundled up ready for our trip to the store

We woke up early this morning, checked out the school closure lists (none were closed except the private school we service) and then we waited for parents to show up - which they did! Some were okay with the fact that we would not be taking their kids to school, others decided that they would take them to school themselves, and then we had a fun snow day with the kids, we went outside and played in the snow, slid down the parking lot on crazy carpets and had fun digging the bus out of the snow! I managed to dig my car out of all the snow that had covered it in all the time it had sat in the parking lot (27 1/2 hours!) and it even started (my car doesn't like the cold and can be hard to start some mornings!)I have decided that this is not the weather for me!


my car - this is only the snow that fell between 11am & 6pm yesterday!

HUSBAND UPDATE
Oh - I just talked to Ronel and all the photos and paperwork I sent to him (via a group going down from Yarmouth Nova Scotia) arrived safely in his hands yesterday and he is already handing out the photos I sent for different people! I love being able to call my husband and talk to him whenever I want! Yeah for technology and SKYPE!

Warm wishes from COLD BC
(it is supposed to be -17 today with windchill - too cold for this gal with Haitian heat blood!)

2 comments:

renee said...

T! That story re the weather is absolute madness! Isn't it crazy how our lives can be turned upside down by snow?? Glad to hear of the organized plan you and your troops laid out. Nice to know you'll have those basics: food, warmth and shelter!

A hooray from me for technology! I am so happy that you get to chat with Ronel and so easily and so cheaply. That is EXCELLENT!

Theresa said...

Yes, the world seems to stop over here when the white stuff falls... There have been SO many accidents and such because of the snow and commutes home were CRAZY - two of the daycare parents said it took them 5 or more hours on Wednesday to get home from work!

And yes! Big HOORAY for technology! I don't think I would make it through this separation very well if we didn't get to talk as often as we do.