Baby Ticker

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Sunday, January 14, 2007

what BCers do...

when the temperature goes below freezing and stays there....


They create their own ice rinks! First there was a photo in the paper where a family was skating on the ice that was on their road and today on my way to Langley, I saw dozens of people creating their own ice rink in fields that had flooded before the snow and are now frozen. There was atleast 30 cars parked on the side of the road (a major road too - which is why I don't have a photo, even though I had my camera. Doing 60 km/h on a fairly major & busy road isn't conducive to stopping and taking a photo!) and they had hockey nets out, and there was like 4 or 5 impromptu rinks. Coming home as I came over the hill and could see them all skating below me with the sun setting - it was a lovely sight. (again - ARGH that I couldn't get a photo!) But I thought it was a great idea. That is for those who can skate! I'd be on my butt in less time than it takes to say my name! It also was neat to see all these families out there skating together and there were games of hockey going on.

We don't see frozen fields in the lower mainland very often - especially ones that you can stand on! and so people were taking advantage of the cold weather we have been having! (It was again -8 on my way to church this morning. It warmed up to a whole 0 degrees by 4:30pm and then it gets dark, so the temperature drops again. The big news is that we are supposed to hit 2 degrees tomorrow as the high~!)

No comments: