Baby Ticker

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Friday, August 17, 2007

memorial service

Today was the memorial service for Joanna. It was a great celebration of her life and while it was a bit awkward with the format and some confusion between who was doing what with the leading of the service, it was a nice time to be able to remember her and share memories with other friends and family. I got to see some friends and teachers from my bible college days as the service was at my old bible college. I had a nice talk with one of my old teachers and we both commented on how we know that Joanna would have been glad we were all there celebrating her life, however short it was. Joanna and I both shared our favorite verse - Jeremiah 29:11 and that was talked about today, how Joanna really held on to that verse, even when it became clear that she wasn't going to be able to beat this. It was great to hear that even in the midst of battling cancer, she still knew that God had a plan for her and that plan was full of good.

I got to talk to Joanna's mom for a bit and we both just remembered all the times I spent with Joanna and the family and Jolande (Joanna's mom) said she had been looking at a photo of Joanna & I on their couch and she thanked me for being such a good friend to Joanna and how she was sad that I hadn't been able to visit with Joanna but that she just didn't have the energy at the end to do much of all, and visitors had just been too much. I started to tear up when she thanked me for being a friend to Joanna, cause I had been upset at myself for not keeping in better touch when I moved to Haiti and Joanna left our church. Joanna and I had been so close during the last couple years in high school and also in bible college and even for a while afterwards, but once a little distance separated us, we both let our friendship slip. Events like this really make you look at your life and rethink things like that! The friends I have now, I want to keep, no matter where life takes us!

Okay, so it is now late and I have been working like crazy since I got home on Wednesday. I have been helping with preparations for our Lower Mainland Foursquare Kids Camp and I have put in 12-13 hours both yesterday and today and my body is starting to complain about the lack of rest and tomorrow is also a busy day, with both a wedding and a birthday party! One of our daycare parents is getting married tomorrow and she invited all the staff to come to the ceremony and then we have a party for a friend's 30th birthday and I still have some prep to do for the decorations for the stage at camp! Oh, I can't wait for school to start, life will be a little less hectic once school is in session! (or atleast I am really hoping that it is!!!)

Goodnight,
~~ and look 3 posts in 2 days..... I don't know if I can keep up with this pace, but hopefully I will be posting more regularly!~~

No comments: